The following article came out in today’s Georgia Straight newspaper (Aug 14/14): Detoxifying the Body of Harmful Chemicals and Metals is Easier than it Might Seem,by Charlie Smith
1. Lead seriously harms children’s development as it crosses the blood brain barrier. Lead, along with other chemicals, contributes to ADHD.
2. Triclosan, an antimicrobial agent, has been linked to the development of human breast cancer cells. Triclosan is found in antibacterial soaps and some toothpastes and is found in 1600 products.
3. More than 80,000 synthetic chemicals have been added in the past century. It is unclear how they disrupt the endocrine system.
4. Smith adds that “Another family of chemicals called phthalates are found in cosmetics, upholstery, perfumes, plastics, paints, adhesives, and other products. Studies in peer-reviewed scientific journals have linked some of them to reproductive disorders, behavioural changes in children, asthma, allergies, pregnancy loss, and metabolic disorders, according to Bruce Lourie, author of Toxin Toxout: Getting Harmful Chemicals Out of Our Bodies and Our World ( Knopf Canada, 2013).”
5. You need to avoid putting the toxic substance into you in the first place. It is harder to get them out than to put them in! “The idea that chemicals are not only harming our bodies but are in fact preventing our bodies from detoxifying properly is critical,” Lourie writes. “If toxic chemicals are compromising our immune systems, our bodies are constantly fighting just to stay healthy and our major detox organs, such as our liver and kidneys, can’t focus on their main job of removing toxins.”
6. Chelation and infrared saunas help remove toxins.
While it appears the author is not aware of lymphatic drainage massage to get toxins out of the body, I thought this was a very good article.